Carrot Cake with Sticky Chocolate Sauce
A classic Brazilian cake that our co-founder Ana Banana grew up with and regularly makes at home, simply because it's so easy and a joy to eat alongside a good cup of coffee in the afternoon! The kids love it too (minus the coffee).
For the cake:
- - 3 medium carrots, grated (c. 250g)
- - 3 medium eggs
- - 120ml any lightly coloured vegetable oil (we use canola)
- - 250g plain white flour
- - 170g sugar
- - 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
- - 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (c. 400g)
- - 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- - 1 tablespoon butter
- - 60ml milk
For the sticky chocolate sauce:
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan. Brush a cake tin with butter and dust with flour to coat. Set aside.
- 2. For the cake: start by adding the carrot, eggs and vegetable oil to a blender and blend for 5 minutes until completely smooth and foamy. Add the sugar and blend for another minute.
- 3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl. Delicately mix with a spatula until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- 4. Add the cake mixture to the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 40minutes, until a wonderful cake smell appears or a thin toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 5. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin. Set it aside to cool while we prepare the chocolate sauce.
- 6. For the chocolate sauce, add the condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter to a small/medium saucepan and turn on the hob to a medium-low heat. Stir continuously for c. 10 minutes and then add the milk. Continue to stir for another 10 minutes until a sticky, shiny glaze is formed but remove it from the heat before it turns too thick.
- 7. Pour the sauce generously over the cake. Enjoy!