Carrot Cake with Sticky Chocolate Sauce
A classic Brazilian cake that our co-founder Ana Banana grew up with and regularly makes at home, simply because it's so easy and a joy to eat alongside a good cup of coffee in the afternoon! The kids love it too (minus the coffee).
For the cake:
- 3 medium carrots, grated (c. 250g)
- 3 medium eggs
- 120ml any lightly coloured vegetable oil (we use canola)
- 250g plain white flour
- 170g sugar
- 2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
For the sticky chocolate sauce:
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk (c. 400g)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 60ml milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan. Brush a cake tin with butter and dust with flour to coat. Set aside.
2. For the cake: start by adding the carrot, eggs and vegetable oil to a blender and blend for 5 minutes until completely smooth and foamy. Add the sugar and blend for another minute.
3. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl. Delicately mix with a spatula until incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
4. Add the cake mixture to the prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 40minutes, until a wonderful cake smell appears or a thin toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing it from the tin. Set it aside to cool while we prepare the chocolate sauce.
6. For the chocolate sauce, add the condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter to a small/medium saucepan and turn on the hob to a medium-low heat. Stir continuously for c. 10 minutes and then add the milk. Continue to stir for another 10 minutes until a sticky, shiny glaze is formed but remove it from the heat before it turns too thick.
7. Pour the sauce generously over the cake. Enjoy!