Casarecce ai Funghi
A quick midweek dinner with a creamy (or do I mean dreamy?) mushroom sauce and beautiful herby flavours from the fresh oregano.
Makes 4 portions
- 500g casarecce pasta (or other short pasta of your preference)
- 5-6 portobello mushrooms
- 1 brown onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 300ml extra thick double cream
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 handful fresh oregano
- Olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions for al dente, and save 80ml of pasta water before draining.
2. While the pasta cooks, let's prepare the sauce. Start by finely chopping the onion, garlic and oregano (don't forget to remove al stems from the oregano). Slice the mushrooms vertically into strips of medium thickness (c. 1cm) and set aside.
3. Heat up a large frying pan over medium heat, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil and add the onions. After sweating the onions for 2-3mins until they start to become translucent, add the garlic and oregano and fry for 1 minute until aromatic. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Add the mushrooms and butter, cook for 4mins until soft, stirring often. Add the pasta water and double cream, stir well and let the sauce thicken for 4-5mins.
5. Add the parmesan to the sauce, stir and throw the pasta in, mixing well until fully coated by the sauce. Serve and add more parmesan if you wish, topping with more black pepper and a few oregano leaves to decorate.