Cauliflower Three Cheese with Chorizo Crumb
An unbelievably easy and delicious dinner favourite at ours, this one is hard to beat! Trust me on the candied jalapenos, they add a kick to the crumb that takes it all to a whole new level.
- - 1 large cauliflower
- - 100g chorizo sausage (for cooking)
- - 2 spring onions
- - 1 tablespoon candied jalapenos (see product below)
- - 4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- - 1/4 cup grated cheddar
- - 1/4 cup grated gouda or mozzarella
- - 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- For the bechamel:
- - 50g salted butter
- - 25g plain white flour
- - 400ml whole milk
- - 1 pinch nutmeg
- - Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 160C Fan.
- 2. Let's start by preparing the bechamel- Warm up the milk in the microwave for 60-90 seconds and set aside. In a saucepan over medium low heat melt the butter and, once melted, add the flour.
- 3. Whisk continuously for 4-5mins and add in half of the milk. Continue whisking until combined. Add the other half and the nutmeg as well as a generous pinch of sauce.
- 4. Continue stirring until a medium thick consistency is achieved (we don't want it too thick, as it will continue thickening after we stop cooking). Set aside.
- 5. Cut the chorizo in small cubes and slice the spring onions (I don't usually use the green tops, and prefer to save them for another recipe). In a frying pan fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes until it starts releasing fat, add the spring onions and cook for 30 seconds until coated in the chorizo "oil". Transfer them to a bowl.
- 6. Slice the candied jalapenos finely and add to the chorizo mix alongside the breadcrumbs. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- 7. Roughly chop the cauliflower into medium florets and spread on a rectangular baking tin. Season with salt and black pepper to taste..
- 8. Pour the bechamel over the cauliflower, distributing it well. Add the parmesan and gouda or mozzarella on top and sprinkle the chorizo crumb over the mix. Finish with the cheddar.
- 9. Bake for 35-40mins until golden. Enjoy!