A wonderfully simple dish that celebrates Summer tomatoes and is also a fantastic way to use up that stale bread you don't know what to do with!
- - 400g mixed tomatoes of your choice
- - 1/2 stale bread loaf
- - 1/2 red onion
- - 80ml (5-6 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- - 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- - 2 tablespoons capers
- - 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- - Fresh herbs (we love basil and thyme on this recipe), salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180C Fan
- 2. Cut the loaf of bread in medium-sizes cubes, approximately 2.5cm x 2.5cm and spread the cubes over a large baking tray
- 3. Drizzle the bread with some olive oil and bake for 20-25mins until crispy to turn into golden croutons
- 4. In the meantime, chop the tomatoes in medium-sized pieces and halve the cherry tomatoes if you are using any. Thinly slice the red onion in half-moon shapes and add both to a large bowl. Set aside.
- 5. For the dressing, start by roughly chopping the capers. Add them to a bowl or jam jar alongside the remaining ingredients, a good pinch of salt and black pepper. Shake or stir until well combined.
- 6. Remove the croutons from the oven, stir them into the bowl with the onions and tomatoes and drizzle the sauce over the top. Mix it all together until the sauce is evenly distributed across the salad.
- 7. Finish with fresh herbs, and enjoy!