Pan-fried Scallops with Pea & Mint Salad
A special dish for a dinner party, romantic night or a day when you just want to treat yourself! It's full of flavours yet delicate and simple to prepare - we adore it. Makes 2 portions.
- Add the frozen peas to a bowl and cover with boiling water (off the hob) until peas are all submerged. Place a lid or upside-down plate to close the bowl and leave for 4mins until the peas have softened but still have a bite to them.
- Strain the peas and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the mint leaves, being careful to remove all the stems.
- Add the mint leaves to the cooled peas alongside a generous drizzle of olive oil, zest of one lemon, juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
- Use a fork or pestle to slightly crush the peas, still leaving them chunky and with plenty of texture.
- Grab the two serving plates of your choosing and place a handful of watercress in the midde, creatig a nest. Top it with the pea salad (c. 4 tablespoons on each) and set aside.
- Finally, let's prepare the scallops. Place them on top of a paper towel to remove excess water and tap them with another paper towel to do the same for the top - this step will ensure the outside crisps up during frying.
- Season both sides generously with salt and pre-heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat until it is quite hot.
- Add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the pan and go in with the scallops. Allow them to cook for 2mins on one side, without moving them, and flip them over.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to the pan as soon as you have flipped the scallops and baste them with butter during the 2mins of cooking on the second side.
- Remove them from the pan and add three on top of each plated pea & mint salad. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes for a great finish. Enjoy!