Pumpkin & Feta Salad with Quinoa
Pumpkin is such a wonderful and flavoursome vegetable, we love getting creative with different ways of serving it - this combination with tangy feta is a great match for the sweet Autumn pumpkin season!
- - 1 medium seasonal pumpkin or squash of your choosing
- - 100g feta cheese
- - 150g red & white quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package instructions
- - 1 medium red onion
- - 2 red chilli peppers
- - 2 tablespoons pistachio kernels
- - 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- - 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- - 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- - Olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Pre-heat the oven at 180C / 160C Fan
- 2. Slice the red onion vertically in half (pole to pole) and slice into medium thin half moons. Thinly slice the chillies. Place them both into a bowl, add a generous glug of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- 3. Cut the feta cheese into medium cubes (approximately 2cm) and add it to the onion and chillies. Mix delicately to combine and leave to marinade while we prepare the rest of the dish.
- 4. Peel and dice your pumpkin or squash into medium pieces of c. 4-5cm each. Don't dice it too thin, we want good sized chunks of pumpkin for this recipe. Transfer it to a baking tray.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, paprika, 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix and pour the sauce over the sliced pumpkin, using your hands to coat all surfaces of the pumpkin well. Bake for c. 45 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and golden, but still retaining its shape. I like to turn them once halfway through this baking time to ensure even roasting.
- 6. Add the cooked quinoa to a bowl, roughly chop the mint leaves and mix into the quinoa with a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper and transfer the prepared quinoa mix to the serving dish, creating a bed for the pumpkin.
- 7. Once the pumpkin is ready, add it on top of the quinoa and top with the marinated feta, onions and chilli that we prepared. Finish by sprinkling some pistachio kernels for an added crunch. Enjoy!