Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
Comfort food at its best, these soft sticky drumsticks are a perfect match for a lazy weekend. I like serving it with sticky rice and topping the drumsticks with sesame seeds and thinly sliced spring onion. Trust me, it's awesome
- - 1.5kg free range chicken drumsticks
- - 5-6 cloves garlic, peeled and whole
- - 2 tablespoons ginger, cut into large thin sticks
- - 90ml light soy sauce (6 tablespoons)
- - 30ml rice vinegar (2 tablespoons)
- - 15ml mirin (1 tablespoon)
- - 1.5 tablespoons soft light brown sugar (sometimes I use white sugar if I'm out of light brown)
- - To serve: sticky rice, sesame seeds (black or toasted), spring onion
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C / 180C Fan.
- 2. We start by braising the drumsticks. Season the chicken with salt and place the drumsticks neatly in a deep saucepan. Add the garlic and ginger on top, scattering it over the chicken. Set aside.
- 3. Prepare the teriyaki sauce by combining the soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, brown sugar and 45ml (3 tablespoons) of water. Stir to combine and pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover with a lid, turn on the hob over medium-low heat and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- 4. Transfer everything to an oven proof tray and fish out the garlic and ginger I like to leave a few of the ginger sticks in, but it's up to you.
- 5. Into the oven we go, and roast for 35-40 minutes until the chicken is a beautiful golden colour and the sauce is sticky (but not too sticky, as it continues to reduce after we take it out of the oven). Halfway through this cooking process, turn the drumsticks so both sides colour well.
- 6. Serve the drumsticks over a bed of sticky rice, pour some sauce over the top and finish with some sprinkled sesame seeds and thinly sliced spring onions. Enjoy!